From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: XAPI API (aka xenserver-java)
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 19:11:10 GMT
On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:12 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> I just looked at xenserverjava (the version shipped today 5.6.100-1,
>> and 6.0.0-1)
>>
>> However, while there is a copy of ASLv2 in the source, it does so
>> because some dependencies that it uses are licensed under ASLv2, but
>> the actual code itself has only GPLv2 headers.
>
> David,
>
> Thanks for spotting that. As I said, we should have no problem
> changing the license to something more suitable. I have a few
> questions.
>
> - What is the best license to release this software under? I expect
> that a permissive, BSD-like license would be acceptable for the Apache
> Foundation, yes?
>
> - Will it be necessary to also release the API generation code as
> well? This is something I want to do anyway, but I want to know if it
> will be required for the Apache Foundation.
>
> - Will we have to re-license and re-publish previously released
> versions of the xenserverjava library? Which versions does CloudStack
> depend on? Would it instead be sufficient to re-license the library in
> the next version of XenServer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Hi Mike:

MIT, BSD and ASLv2 seem reasonable choices - see this page[1] for
details on what is acceptable:

I can't speak for the folks at the ASF - perhaps asking on legal@ or
filing a bug in Legal's Jira instance would get you a more qualified
response. My question on this would be - is there any reason not to
release the generating code?

Today, CS uses 5.6.100 iirc - in my mind it makes sense to use the
latest and greatest - but I also am not maintaining the code that does
the work. Perhaps they will weigh in on the matter.

--David

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html#category-a