From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal to use OSGi for component modularity
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 09:47:28 GMT
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Chris Custine <chris.custine@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Frank Zhang wrote:
> > I have some different thoughts here

> interfaces. It
> > > had its own component management via ComponentLocator. While that
> > > framework made it easy for a small group of developers to work
> together, it
> > > has outlived its usefulness. Now that we are expecting more developers
> > > join Apache CloudStack, we're looking for the next component framework
> > > scale code development. This framework needs to manage the following:

> framework
> > > defined by OSGi. We're planning to use that for our component
> framework.

> consider?
> > > Personally, I would absolutely love to see osgi explored. We have been
> using
> > > osgi with great success for ServiceMix for several years and have
> learned
> > > volumes about the ins and outs. For a controlled server environment
> like
> > > Cloudstack, I think it would be ideal. There are some learning curves,
> and
> > > some extra work involved, but the rewards are plenty.
> > >

> > First I don't think CloudStack needs to update or remove bundle on the
> fly.
> > This feature looks ideal, but considering a cluster management nodes, for
> > example four running mgmt nodes, how to propagate bundle upgrade on
> > one mgmt node to others? And how to guarantee all bundles get working
> only
> > after all mgmt nodes gets upgraded? I don't know if OSGI is capable of
> this problem.
> > To me runtime upgrade introduces much complexity, at least to CloudStack.
> >

> Many ways to solve these issues if needed, but if you don't envision
> applying runtime updates why be concerned about it?  In either case, this
> type of thing is addressed in the osgi spec, specifically parts regarding
> service references, bundle lifecycle, and maybe startlevel.
>

> > Second I think the bundle boundary of OSGI is too tiny. I may be wrong
> here,
> > as I am not OSGI expert. I was thinking it is a good idea to treat every
> interface as
> > a service? For example, logging, I hope the logging package used by
> every bundles
> > is linked in it, instead of packaging it as a logging bundle. CloudStack
> should focus on
> > its own bundle, like network bundle, storage bundle. As CloudStack is a
> integration project
> > it uses a lot of thirdparty libraries, spending too much time in
> repackaging libraries I thought
> > should be my linkage dependency to OSGI service distracts us from main
> business.
> > I know there are some projects repackaging common java libraries, I just
> simply suspect if
> > it is the best practice for plugin system.

> [...]
Having been involved with the OSGi communities here at Apache since day
one, I fully support the points made by Marcel Offermans and by Chris
Custine. I'm sure you'll get their support and the backing of all the OSGi
communities to assist you when and if you get stuck at any point. This can
help with community growth from day one.

As Marcel pointed out, I forwarded this thread to Marcel's attention to
help answer some of the questions and assist with the conversation. For
sake of community growth, opting for OSGi as the component model is an
optimal path. There's an open spec behind it. That makes a big difference.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex