From John Kinsella <...@stratosec.co>
Subject Re: Maintainer/committer model for CloudStack
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 02:08:40 GMT
OK - took a little longer than intended, but I've got a draft put together. I can keep adding
to this, but wanted to get it out for comments on what's written so far.

One question - we seem to have "committers" as well as "maintainers."  What's the difference
between the two?

I'm trying to reach a balance between an informal document and something as structured as
the Linux development process (see the Linux Foundation link in the appendix). If people want
to see more formality and structure, let me know.

Please review what I have so far and share thoughts with the list.  Thanks. :)

http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/Draft%3A+CloudStack+Maintainers+Guide (or http://wiki.cloudstack.org/x/MIB9)

John
ps - I went back and forth on the naming of this doc, between "CloudStack Maintainers Guide"
and "CloudStack Contributors Guide." For now I'm using CS Maintainers Guide, to focus the
efforts. I think eventually we need a single document or wiki section that covers a good selection
of topics for a new developer - creating bugs, setting up the dev environment, coding style/code
quality, documentation, patch submission, probably lots of others.