From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: How to add a PhysicalNetworkServiceProvider
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 20:53:56 GMT
A little history about the names.  I originally named it NetworkElement because the code that
supports the network service naturally is an element in the network.  However, when we finalized
the REST APIs, then I realized the name NetworkElement implies that it is one particular instance
of a network element.  However, that's not actually how CloudStack uses NetworkElement.  CloudStack
itself doesn't want to understand how many instances are underneath to support the network
service.  It wants the NetworkElement implementation itself be responsible for that.  CloudStack
is only responsible for pushing the virtual entities such as Network, Network rules, VMs (nics)
to the NetworkElement implementations when they change.

It is up to NetworkElement to implement the number instances it has in a zone, whether it
is in a HA configuration, whether instances are dedicated to an account and many other things
that can help differentiate one vendor's offering from another.  So when we expose the REST
API, we changed the name to NetworkServiceProvider but I never went back to change the NetworkElement
interface to NetworkServiceProvider to make it the same.  Hence, the confusion.

--Alex