From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject RE: Two Issues with XenServer 6.0.2 and CS 3.0.1
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 19:35:57 GMT
Matthew,

If I understand correctly, your storage is on a different IP Range to your Management Server
and Hosts etc, if this is the case you need a Storage Network, which also needs to be accessible
from the Management Server.  If no Storage Network is configured, CloudStack will use the
Management Network when trying to access Storage.

Re http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14655 this is only required if you are using NIC Bonding
and I do not believe you are

Regards

Geoff

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Hartmann [mailto:mhartmann@tls.net]
Sent: 14 May 2012 20:27
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Two Issues with XenServer 6.0.2 and CS 3.0.1

Please see my responses inline, below:

On 5/14/2012 3:18 PM, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> It looks like you have forgot to label your physical networks and map them within the
Zone Setup process, this is vital if you want to use dedicated NICs for any of the four network
types, ie Management, Guest, Public or Storage.

This was a pre-existing zone that was operating well. The XenServer pool freaked out and unraveled
quicker than the fall of Rome. I performed a clean install on my XenServer's and am simply
trying to re-add them back into the Pod. I'm only using one Node at this moment just so I
can get things going. When I initially setup my XenServer's and the pool, I made copious note
should something like this happen. Now that it has unfortunately happened, configuring my
XenServer's the same as they were initially when everything was functional doesn't seem to
have helped.

> Re the Cloud Supplemental Pack, this is only required if you are using
> Security Groups with a  Basic Zone

Right, but is the patch required regardless of whether or not CSP is installed? I have experienced
a similar issue and I am *not* using CSP.

Cheers,

Matthew

> Regards
>
> Geoff

with regard to the Cloud Supplemental Pack:
> http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14655
>
> Could someone shed some light on this?
>
> Secondly, I'm having an issue with CloudStack trying to use my "cloud-private" network
for Public, Guest, Management and Storage.

> Here is what my CS 3.0.1 Management Server log is showing:
>
> [java] INFO [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Private
> Network is cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Guest Network is
> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Public Network is
> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Storage Network 1 is
> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Storage Network 2 is
> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16
>
> On my XenServer 6.0.2 machine I have my "cloud-private" and "cloud-public" networks.
In CS, I have my Storage network set to "Use default gateway". The XenServer has access to
the Internet and can resolve the FQDN of all hosts, management servers and the SAN on the
storage network. I can ping the IP's of the SAN on both Storage subnets, yet CloudStack reports
after adding the host that it can't see the storage network; obviously because it is incorrectly
discovering my networks.

> I have verified in the config in my database for my networks:
>
> mysql>  select * from physical_network_traffic_types;
> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
> | id | uuid                                 | physical_network_id |
> traffic_type | xen_network_label | kvm_network_label |
> vmware_network_label | simulator_network_label | ovm_network_label |
> vlan |
> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
> |  1 | 3a368a1d-5d33-4e11-80ea-02da222d3930 |                   1 |
> Management   | cloud-private     | NULL              |
> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
> |  2 | 3bf7b069-355e-4171-8ac5-c6f84777fc9d |                   2 |
> Guest        | cloud-public      | NULL              |
> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
> |  3 | bb19c965-d726-451e-98fe-e0363c3bbd19 |                   2 |
> Public       | cloud-public      | NULL              |
> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
> |  4 | 9df97cc6-f4e6-4d5f-b148-99f0dfc64dac |                   1 |
> Storage      | NULL              | NULL              |
> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
> 4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> Thoughts? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>

> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting services to help IT
Service Providers and enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s expertise,
combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service providers and enterprises to deliver
true, utility based, IaaS to the customer without reengineering existing physical, virtual
or storage layers.

those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you are not
the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents,
this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England&  Wales.