From Kevin Kluge <Kevin.Kl...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: XAPI API (aka xenserver-java)
Date Wed, 30 May 2012 23:46:27 GMT
> I can't speak for the folks at the ASF - perhaps asking on legal@ or filing a bug
> in Legal's Jira instance would get you a more qualified response. My question
> on this would be - is there any reason not to release the generating code?

I don't see why the generating code needs to be released.  CloudStack doesn't incorporate
it.   Also, GPL and other tools are used all the time in the development of ASF code...

> Today, CS uses 5.6.100 iirc - in my mind it makes sense to use the latest and
> greatest - but I also am not maintaining the code that does the work. Perhaps
> they will weigh in on the matter.

Anthony, can you comment on this?  The question goes back to Mike's earlier question:

> > - Will we have to re-license and re-publish previously released
> > versions of the xenserverjava library? Which versions does CloudStack
> > depend on? Would it instead be sufficient to re-license the library in
> > the next version of XenServer?

Mike, the community wants to get an Apache CloudStack release out "quickly" and from what
I know of XenServer product timelines they would not qualify as "quick".  So I'd request that
Citrix do a release of the XenServerJava library outside the XenServer release framework.
  This could even be a re-release of whatever CloudStack is currently using.

-kevin