From Matthew Hartmann <mhartm...@tls.net>
Subject Re: Two Issues with XenServer 6.0.2 and CS 3.0.1
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 21:01:23 GMT
On 5/14/2012 4:48 PM, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
> I had assumed you had Primary and Secondary storage on different IP ranges to your Management
Server which does need to be able to access Secondary Storage but not Primary Storage.

That assumption is correct, Primary Storage is on a different subnet
than Secondary Storage. Secondary Storage is sitting on the Management
Network subnet.

> I now note your Primary Storage is iSCSI, and that you had a failure of all Hosts.
>
> When adding Storage and Hosts, you have to add Hosts, before you add Primary Storage,
and you have to add Primary Storage before Secondary Storage.

> This is all taken care of by the Add Zone Wizard, but if you have a failure of all Hosts
in a Zone then you need to remove both Primary and Secondary Storage, then add a Host, then
add Primary Storage, then add Secondary storage.

> Templates, ISOs etc that are on Secondary will disappear from the GUI, but don't worry,
they will be detected by the SSVM once it comes online, and they will then reappear in the
GUI.

> If this is a simple test system then it may be easier to simply drop the DB Schema, and
recreate it from scratch, or create a new Zone and let the wizard take care of everything.

This actually was a system we had *just* placed into production. We
luckily did not have any clients setup on this cloud yet. However, won't
removing Primary Storage then re-adding it cause all data on the LUN's
to be effectively wiped?

How would you propose I avoid something like this in the future? A
standby cluster?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,

Matthew

> On 14 May 2012, at 21:12, "Matthew Hartmann"<mhartmann@tls.net>  wrote:
>

> On 5/14/2012 3:35 PM, Geoff Higginbottom wrote:
>> Matthew,
>>
>> If I understand correctly, your storage is on a different IP Range to your Management
Server and Hosts etc, if this is the case you need a Storage Network, which also needs to
be accessible from the Management Server.  If no Storage Network is configured, CloudStack
will use the Management Network when trying to access Storage.
> Odd, did something change? The Management Server has never needed to access the storage
network before. I have tried using XenServer name labels for the Storage Network, but to no
avail. Why would the Management Server need to access my iSCSI SAN (Primary Storage)? I have
confirmed my my Management Server can still access Secondary Storage (NFS Server). All devices
have an FQDN which can be resolved from the XenServer and Management Server.

>> Re http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14655 this is only required if you are using
NIC Bonding and I do not believe you are
> Yes, we are using bonding but we are not using CSP. The bug report refers to bonding
and XenServer 6.0.x but it is not clear whether the steps outlined should be taken regardless
of whether or not CSP is being used in ones setup.

> Cheers,
>
> Matthew
>
>> Regards
>>
>> Geoff

the Zone Setup process, this is vital if you want to use dedicated NICs for any of the four
network types, ie Management, Guest, Public or Storage.
>> This was a pre-existing zone that was operating well. The XenServer pool freaked
out and unraveled quicker than the fall of Rome. I performed a clean install on my XenServer's
and am simply trying to re-add them back into the Pod. I'm only using one Node at this moment
just so I can get things going. When I initially setup my XenServer's and the pool, I made
copious note should something like this happen. Now that it has unfortunately happened, configuring
my XenServer's the same as they were initially when everything was functional doesn't seem
to have helped.

>>> Re the Cloud Supplemental Pack, this is only required if you are using
>>> Security Groups with a  Basic Zone
>> Right, but is the patch required regardless of whether or not CSP is installed? I
have experienced a similar issue and I am *not* using CSP.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matthew
>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Geoff

XenServer with regard to the Cloud Supplemental Pack:
>>> http://bugs.cloudstack.org/browse/CS-14655
>>>
>>> Could someone shed some light on this?
>>>
>>> Secondly, I'm having an issue with CloudStack trying to use my "cloud-private"
network for Public, Guest, Management and Storage.

>>> Here is what my CS 3.0.1 Management Server log is showing:
>>>
>>> [java] INFO [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Private
>>> Network is cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
>>> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Guest Network is
>>> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
>>> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Public Network is
>>> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
>>> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Storage Network 1 is
>>> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16 [java] INFO
>>> [xen.resource.CitrixResourceBase] (http-8080-6:) Storage Network 2 is
>>> cloud-private for host 10.0.0.16
>>>
>>> On my XenServer 6.0.2 machine I have my "cloud-private" and "cloud-public" networks.
In CS, I have my Storage network set to "Use default gateway". The XenServer has access to
the Internet and can resolve the FQDN of all hosts, management servers and the SAN on the
storage network. I can ping the IP's of the SAN on both Storage subnets, yet CloudStack reports
after adding the host that it can't see the storage network; obviously because it is incorrectly
discovering my networks.

>>> I have verified in the config in my database for my networks:
>>>
>>> mysql>    select * from physical_network_traffic_types;
>>> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
>>> | id | uuid                                 | physical_network_id |
>>> traffic_type | xen_network_label | kvm_network_label |
>>> vmware_network_label | simulator_network_label | ovm_network_label |
>>> vlan |
>>> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
>>> |  1 | 3a368a1d-5d33-4e11-80ea-02da222d3930 |                   1 |
>>> Management   | cloud-private     | NULL              |
>>> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
>>> |  2 | 3bf7b069-355e-4171-8ac5-c6f84777fc9d |                   2 |
>>> Guest        | cloud-public      | NULL              |
>>> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
>>> |  3 | bb19c965-d726-451e-98fe-e0363c3bbd19 |                   2 |
>>> Public       | cloud-public      | NULL              |
>>> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
>>> |  4 | 9df97cc6-f4e6-4d5f-b148-99f0dfc64dac |                   1 |
>>> Storage      | NULL              | NULL              |
>>> NULL                 | NULL                    | NULL              | NULL |
>>> +----+--------------------------------------+---------------------+--------------+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------+-------------------------+-------------------+------+
>>> 4 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matthew
>>>

>>> ShapeBlue provides a range of strategic and technical consulting services to
help IT Service Providers and enterprises to build a true IaaS compute cloud. ShapeBlue’s
expertise, combined with CloudStack technology, allows IT Service providers and enterprises
to deliver true, utility based, IaaS to the customer without reengineering existing physical,
virtual or storage layers.

>>> This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely
solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd. If you
are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon
its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you
have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England&
   Wales.