From Prasanna Santhanam <prasanna.santha...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Automated Tests / Pre-Checkin Procedure / Code Coverage
Date Thu, 17 May 2012 12:45:25 GMT
Hi Michael -

Apologies, I've been a little lazy in getting this out to community.
Our tests run using our internally developed framework dubbed Marvin.
You can get a source distributable of this built using the ant target
"package-marvin" and install using pip. (Will put it up on our public
jenkins server too once I figure out that bit)

A tutorial on using the framework for putting together tests is
available on our wiki:

http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/QA/Testing+with+python

A short demo on it was done for our testing team recently. You can
find those slides here: http://tinyurl.com/743ecb3

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 04:13:29PM -0400, Michael Matczynski wrote:
> A few questions:
>
> 1.) What is the state of the CloudStack automated test suite (unit,
> functional, integration, etc...)?  Is there an ant target to run all
> the tests?

You can find the integration tests that we have running under the
cloudstack-oss/tests/integration directory. These are long running
tests that are set to run against a deployed CloudStack environment.
So I wouldn't run them using an ant target yet. It should ideally go
on a build server and run against dedicated infrastructure - coming
soon.

A stripped down version of these tests can however be run from an
ant-target against a simulated environment. We don't have this ability
yet. I'm wondering if we should strip the existing tests off backend
checks or cleverly have our framework skip those backend verification
steps. Using the latter approach we have only one set of tests to
maintain.

> 2.) What "pre-checkin" procedure do Citrix devs use to validate their
> code before pushing to the master repo?

I think devs have traditionally tested using a manual unittest. There
are some folks who have written unit tests too.

> 3.) Has a code-coverage tool (e.g. Cobertura) been run on the
> CloudStack source tree?

We don't have code-coverage enabled. But would love to have it!

Thoughts, Suggestions, Comments are welcome.

Thanks,

--
Prasanna.,