From Alessandro Pilotti ...@pilotti.it>
Subject Re: [cloudstack-devel] Hyper-V Support
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2012 20:34:59 GMT
I started looking into the code for VMWare and KVM resources in order to develop the Hyper-V
Resource, the proxy based architecture is clear.

I have some basic questions to start with :-)

1) I'm looking at the commands in com.cloud.agent.api. Is there some documentation? To start
coding the HyperV adapter, is there a list of mandatory and optional commands? I'm "reverse
engineering" their semantyc looking at the VMWare resources, but it's not so trivial :)

2) Commands are synchronous or asynchronous? In case how do you handle running jobs?

3) Configuration: how do I tell CS that a new HyperVisor Resource type exists? (both cases:
Manager based / Agent based)

4) Storage: the free Hyper-V server does not contain an NFS client. There are of course open
source NFS clients (Cygwin, etc) that can be installed, but supporting SMB might be easier.
What do you think about adding support for SMB shares in CS?

Thanks!

Alessandro

On Apr 20, 2012, at 02:30 , Frank Zhang wrote:

> > There's a JSON-based protocol to pass commands between Management Server and host.
>
> >>  That sounds great! Do you maybe have a link for some documentation and samples?
:)
>                 CloudStack has two types of managing host. Agent based and manager based.
Agent based means installing an agent on host and management server directly controls host
through the agent. KVM and XenServer falls into this category,  as KVM agent is written by
CloudStack developer while agent of XenServer is provided by Xapi.  The manager based approach
applies to VMWare, HyperV, OVM3 where CloudStack invokes API of SDK provided by hypervisor
vendor to communicate with *the manager*, for example, VCenter of VMWare, the manager is on
behalf of CloudStack to control the host. in our code paths, these two approaches look like:

manager provided by vendor ------à host

>                 To support a new type of hypervisor, the key is to implement a *Resource*
showed in above. The Resource is a command executor which receives commands from CloudStack
business logic(known as various managers, like networkManager, StorageManager, UserVmManager
… in our code) and performs these commands to hypervisor by means of either XmlRpc or SDK
API. In GoF design patterns, the Resource is a proxy pattern that works as a surrogate between
CloudStack and hypervisors.
>                 If you open one of hypervisor resources source file (for example, VmwareResource.java,
LibvirtComputingResource.java, CitrixResourceBase.java), you will find all of them implement
the same set of commands that are exhibited by method:
> public Answer executeRequest(Command cmd)
>
> take a look at that method and implement a similar resource like others, then you add
HyperV support into CloudStackJ

> Thanks,
>
> Alessandro
>

> On Apr 19, 2012, at 19:16 , Kevin Kluge wrote:
>

> Yes, very interesting.   Can you elaborate on the getThumbnail function.   One issue
we have been thinking about with Hyper-V is how to do guest console display (console proxy
functionality, in CloudStack terms).  Since only RDP is available with Hyper-V, and CloudStack
knows only VNC, we've been expecting that RDP is needed in CloudStack to provide console view.

> Did you integrate with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2?   Or something else?
>
> The CloudStack has existing code/framework to implement what we call a remote agent (your
scenario 3).   Take a look at how KVM hosts are managed.   There's a JSON-based protocol to