From Robert Schweikert <rjsch...@suse.com>
Subject Re: version confusion
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:46:39 GMT
Hi Frank,

On 04/23/2012 06:16 PM, Frank Zhang wrote:
> Hi Robert:
> 	Do you know what's most common way for java project packaging under Linux?

The packaging is really independent from building the code. The most
common build tool used for Java application on Linux is Ant.

> 	We look forward to getting rid of waf for a long while, but not see an easy way.  Using
scripts with Ant to package RPM seems to not have much difference that waf,  for waf is a
sort of scripts as well.

The build tool should no create the package. From your perspective you
should focus on building the code. For the install step the build tool
should respect the value of the DESTDIR variable. everything else
concerning the packaging is in the spec file, for RPMS, and equivalent
for .dbe packages.
Once decouple the code build, i.e. the transition from .java to .jar,
and the package build (where stuff ends up on the system), things become
a lot easier.

A Java app should be no different in this respect than a C/C++ app. In
the C/C++ world make is the build tool of choice. Upstream projects do
not include rules about how to build packages in their makefiles.
Neither should your build mechanism, may it be WAF or Ant.

HTH,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@suse.com