From Alessandro Pilotti ...@pilotti.it>
Subject Re: Hyper-V Support
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:40:53 GMT
Yes, Hyper-V uses RDP as an underlying protocol for console management.

Do you have a strong dependency in CloudStack on VNC or you have some sort of adapters? In
the second case supporting RDP would be better in terms of performance for Windows hosts.
Consider also that the Hyper-V console managemet requires the Windows Hyper-V Tools (e.g.
available in the RSAT for Win 7 http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=7887),
which would prevent us to use it from a Linux, Mac etc.

As a first step, what about integrating the Hyper-V console when available and offering an
option to deploy automatically a VNC server in Windows?
VNC to RDP proxying might also be an option, even if a bad one from a performance standpoint.

I'm a Microsoft MVP, so I will also get in contact with the Hyper-V team to see if they might
support us in developing an open source console client (but I won't necessarily count on it).

The GetThumbnail method is suitable for generating thumbnails to display in a management portal,
but even if it could teoretically be polled continuously to feed a console, it would be very
inefficient, beside resolution limitations.

> > Did you integrate with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2?   Or something else?

Our library supports all versions of Hyper-V so far: 2008, 2008 R2 and Windows 8 (the current
consumer preview)

> > There's a JSON-based protocol to pass commands between Management Server and host.

That sounds great! Do you maybe have a link for some documentation and samples? :)

Thanks,

Alessandro

On Apr 19, 2012, at 19:16 , Kevin Kluge wrote:

> Yes, very interesting.   Can you elaborate on the getThumbnail function.   One issue
we have been thinking about with Hyper-V is how to do guest console display (console proxy
functionality, in CloudStack terms).  Since only RDP is available with Hyper-V, and CloudStack
knows only VNC, we've been expecting that RDP is needed in CloudStack to provide console view.

> Did you integrate with Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2?   Or something else?
>
> The CloudStack has existing code/framework to implement what we call a remote agent (your
scenario 3).   Take a look at how KVM hosts are managed.   There's a JSON-based protocol to