From Reto Bachmann-Gmür <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future of Clerezza and Stanbol
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:59:59 GMT
Hi Peter and all,

Good to read about your experiments.Just a first comment:

In addition, I did not want to use OSGI, so I had to make changes in
> many cases to allow a completely programmatic instantiation of
> components, as some fields were left private with no mutator method
> and in some cases no public contructor that could be used to populate
> the field programmatically. For all of the good that OSGI may provide
> for otherwise complex systems, it is not good Java software
> engineering to make fields private.

The clerezza.rdf package should all be usable withouth OSGi. OSGi cannot do
magic and set private fields, the compiled classes do have bind and unbind
methods for the private fields, these methods are added by the maven felix
scr-plugin.  For locating dependencies outside OSGi the META-INF/services
method is used so that for example one can add a serializitaion provider
seimply by adding it to the classpath without requiring and manual binding.

Cheers,
Reto