From Reto Bachmann-Gmür <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] change skos namespace in use
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2012 20:36:16 GMT
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Tsuy Ito <tsuy.ito@trialox.org> wrote:

> What happens if in future another version will be defined as namespace of
> SKOS? You will update it again and all users have to change their code,
> again? not very user-friendly.

Your argument about user friendlyness seems a bit starnge. How can it be
user friendly is in clerezza "SKOS" refers to a namespace that was only
temporarily proposed and never accepted and not to the namespace that is
and has been the standard across different all the different released
versions of the spec.

The W3C has decided not to change the namespace, its only Clerezza that
adopted a proposed namespace change that was never accepted. So the SKOS
namespace is the old http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core# one and users
rightfully expect the clerezza constants to refer to this.

> Especially because user who uses snapshot versions will not notice the
> change (build will not break) but this change will have a big impact on the
> existing data. So they have to update their database or update their source
> code.

Well, in a productive context a user should only change to a SNAPSHOT
version id this brings significant needed improvements. Here the only
improvemnet is exactly the resolution of CLEREZZA-717 is it asking to much
that somebody depending on the current bug either not to update or change
its code to use the SKOS08 class?

Cheers,
Reto