From Reto Bachmann-Gmür <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:30:42 GMT
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@apache.org> wrote:
> > What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>
> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
> word "semantic".

Not sure where the often encountered aversion against that term comes
from. Is it a campaign of the big information portals who are afraid
to loose power if information classification and selection becomes
more decentralized? Or is it the frustration of the first wave of
developers who decided the name must be the reason for the lack of
success of their software? Or did the semantic web just attract too
many AI people to remain attractive for the rest of us?

Replacing the terms "semantics" with some kind of "data" just seems an
inaccurate description of what this is about. Granted, "linked data"
can be seen as something a bit more generic than "linked documents"
thus including deeper linking and non documented oriented
data-structures. However I don't see why classical "linked documents"
shouldn't fall in that category as well.

What the 4 projects have in common is the use of technologies (notably
RDF) that allow linking entities other than data, for example persons
or abstract ideas. So I think this is about linking *beyond data*, and
with entity extraction (stanbol, any23) and inference (jena) it's also
*beyond linking*.

I'm open for other proposals but to me the term semantics seems to
describe the scope quite well.

Cheers,
Reto