From Tommaso Teofili <tommaso.teof...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Report due on Wednesday
Date Tue, 01 May 2012 22:08:54 GMT
Hi all,

2012/5/1 Daniel Spicar <dspicar@apache.org>

> We need to discuss a plan for community development for the report.
>

> Here are my thoughts. I did not think this trough in great detail. It's
> pretty much Brainstorming.
>
> It would be really good if we could get some more user interaction going.
> As I see it there are several users of Clerezza but the only community we
> hear from regularly is the Stanbol community.

This leads to a situation
> where I have a bad overview of who our users are and what they want
> improved. Am I just expecting too much? Does somebody know how such
> interaction can be encouraged?

In my past experience one thing that helps in getting new users (which will
make questions) is presenting a list of applications which take advantage
of the product.
So something like a "powered by Clerezza" page on our website may help.
Also I think we need to boost how a user/developer could read our code: if
I were interested only in the (very nice) RDF API Clerezza provides then I
may get lost when looking at the source code tree (look at [1]) so we may
structure the module tree some more in more conceptually related submodules.
Something like:
rdf-api
jax-rs
storage
security
ontologies
tools

> Another approach we could try is to get involved in something like GSoC or
> get students to work with/on Clerezza as part of their studies projects. We
> do have some connections to the University of Zurich and other
> institutions.

+1

> Third, maybe we could 'hook' some researchers on Clerezza, or at least the
> Clerezza API. From my experience at the University of Zurich, Jena is the
> de-facto standard and many researchers don't even know that Clerezza exist.

However to get them to use Clerezza we probably need to offer them some
> benefits. That probably means to invest quite some work into integrating
> some functionality they want but that Jena is not offering.

That was my experience as well, as far as I can say researchers don't care
much about this or that project as long as they have "a good thing for that
which just works" so your proposal of highlighting the Clerezza benefits
would make sense.

Apart from that I think we need to write some more documentation, I
remember we talked about having MoinMoin for our wiki. IMHO we should just
use that and add links on our website.

My 2 cents,
Tommaso

[1] : http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent/