From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: releasing individual modules (WAS: Can someone create 0.3-incubating version in our JIRA project?)
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:19:27 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@apache.org> wrote:
> Yes, you're right that even when releasing a single module a new parent
> should be released. So that using the dependency management of the latest
> released parent ensures the latest released versions of all modules....

We do it a bit differently in Sling - the parent pom's [1]
dependencyManagement section only includes a handful dependencies
which are really common stuff (OSGi framework, logging APIs etc.) so
it doesn't have to change often.

The rest is handled in the modules' poms, it's a bit more work when
updating things, but it avoid updating dependency versions just
because a new dependency was released. If module M depends on API A
implemented by bundle B, M's dependencies don't need to change when B
is released.

-Bertrand

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/parent/pom.xml