From Reto Bachmann-Gmür <r...@gmuer.ch>
Subject Mozile licensing / Creative Commons License
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:47:17 GMT
Hi

James has agreed to release license mozile under the ASL.

As you can read in his mail some icons are licensed under the Creative
Commons Attribution 2.5 license. In
http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html I don't see the CC licenses
listed.

Doe anyone know if these icons can be included?

Cheers,
Reto

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James A. Overton <james@overton.ca>
Date: Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: Mozile
To: Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto@gmuer.ch>

Hi Reto,

I'm ready to make the licensing changes, but I want to check the
details with you first. I presume that it's Mozile 0.8 that you want
to use -- if not, let me know. Mozile 0.8 is currently distributed
under any one of three licenses
(http://mozile.mozdev.org/0.8/LICENSE). My thought was to simply add
Apache 2.0 as a fourth available license. Since I wrote all of the
Mozile 0.8 code myself, I can make that change.

However there are some icons included in the Mozile 0.8 distribution
from the Silk icon set, which are licensed under Creative Commons
Attribution 2.5 license
(http://mozile.mozdev.org/0.8/images/silk/COPYING). Is that acceptable
for your purposes? If not, you'll have to replace them with something
else, I guess.

I don't know anything about this hallo-editor, but Mozile does not
work the same as contentEditable editors. ContentEditable started in
old versions of IE and presents some basic editing commands to produce
HTML 3 era markup. Mozile uses standard DOM commands. (Sometimes
Mozile uses contentEditable just to get an editing cursor.) In theory,
Mozile should be more powerful and flexible. In practice, the Mozile
code always had bugs, and by now it's pretty old.

James

On 2011-07-15, at 14:31 , Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:

> Hi James
>
> That's good news!
>
> I noticed the problem right before the planed release, so for this very first release
(currently being voted upon) i just removed mozile (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-608).
I opened a new issue (CLEREZZA-609) to re-allow inline editing.

> Another editor I wanted to look at  is henry bergius hallo-editor.  A minimalistic
conetntEditable based editor. Do you happen to know how the different approaches compare?