From Paolo Ciccarese <paolo.ciccar...@gmail.com>
Subject Enable UIMA results mapping to Annotation Ontology (AO) RDF format
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:32:42 GMT
A few months ago or so I wrote to the Clerezza mailing list explaining one
of the needs of the biomedical community http://tinyurl.com/42rp3ma . Since
then I've been working with Tommaso Teofili on the issue. Tommaso introduced
new Clerezza-UIMA basic types for dealing with entities identified by URIs.
This is a simple convention that will empower text miners interested in
Semantic web and Linked Open Data.  Also, an extension of the UIMA
ClerezzaCASConsumer has been introduced to accommodate multiple mapping
strategies - the previously available strategy has been defined as the
'default' one.

I am now ready to contribute the code for mapping the UIMA results to the
Annotation Ontology (AO) RDF format - http://tinyurl.com/23p5dcc . The idea
is to provide a common and stable way for the text mining algorithm to
expose their results in a way that can be integrated with other efforts in
our field. This can be an important step for eliminating the fragmentation
in the bio-medical community where most of the text mining and entity
recognition services I have to integrate has a different communication
format.

Next step would be to define a standard web service for triggering UIMA
analysis and properly exposing the results.

Best,
Paolo Ciccarese