From Reto Bachmann-Gmür ...@farewellutopia.com>
Subject Re: delay in release
Date Thu, 14 Jul 2011 10:35:02 GMT
I agree with the principle of getting things to work first and then
care about performance but here I think it would be a fundamentally
flaw in the architecture that will necessarily cause very bad
performance. One can get the test in the issue (which really if a
request for enhancement) to pass without introducing these parts.

Reto

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 14 Jul 2011, at 11:32, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>
>> The issue I can agree with addressing is 603. While I think the naming
>> is inappropriately dramatic as it would be better described as
>> supporting a slightly different coding style, as I commented on the
>> issue I could agree with a resolution.
>>
>> Not sure how to apply your patch, it doesn't seem to work with the
>> regular path -p (see below).
>
> I don't know. That is what they recommend to do on
>
>   http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html
>
> I agree that  they should also give some info on how to apply the patch!
>

>> I think the changes in the patch pertinent to the issue are the
>> changes to the bnode and the b_ methods, I don't see how other changes
>> like
>>
>>               def -->(sub: GraphNode): RichGraphNode = {
>> -                     //RichGraphNode.this + sub
>> +                     graph.addAll(sub.getGraph)
>>                       -->(sub.getNode)
>>               }
>
> If you have want code like
>
>   gr.bnode("danny") -- FOAF.knows --> ( gr.bnode("reto").a(FOAF.Person) ... )
>
> to work then you need to allow the --> to take a GraphNode as object. It should of
course merge the
> info.
>
> If you want to make it more efficient, you could open another issue to make it more efficient.
A simple
> test of equality between the graphs would certainly help.
>

>> or
>>
>> +
>> +             /**
>> +              * Add one relation for each member of the iterable collection
>> +              */
>> +             def -->>>(elems: Iterable[GraphNode]): RichGraphNode
= {
>> +                     for (res <- elems) -->(res)
>> +                     RichGraphNode.this
>> +             }
>
> This is just so that you can allow relations to lists of GraphNodes. Sadly it can't be
the same as -->> as that clashes
> with the other methods due to Type Erasure.
>

>> would relate to the issue. (And as a side-note, I don't think a
>> potentially very expensive operation like copying around the whole
>> context of a GraphNode should happen as a side effect of the -->
>> method)
>
> I think it is better to file a new issue to make the code more efficient. There are different
ways to do that I am sure, so that could itself give rise to a debate. No need to mix issues.
Simplicity is the mantra now. Right ? :-)

> [...]
>> `0001-CLEREZZA-603-EzMGraph.bnode-now-returns-a-RichGraphN.patch'
>> saved [10792/10792]
>>
>> reto@reto-HPE-540ch:~/projects/apache/clerezza/trunk/parent$ patch -p0
>> < 0001-CLEREZZA-603-EzMGraph.bnode-now-returns-a-RichGraphN.patch
>> patching file b/parent/platform.security.foafssl/test/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/foafssl/test/WebIDTester.scala
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 33.
>> Hunk #2 FAILED at 122.
>> Hunk #3 FAILED at 130.
>> Hunk #4 FAILED at 148.
>> Hunk #5 FAILED at 172.
>> Hunk #6 FAILED at 199.
>> Hunk #7 FAILED at 215.
>> Hunk #8 FAILED at 223.
>> Hunk #9 FAILED at 602.
>> Hunk #10 FAILED at 709.
>> Hunk #11 FAILED at 743.
>> 11 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> b/parent/platform.security.foafssl/test/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/foafssl/test/WebIDTester.scala.rej
>> patching file b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/EzMGraph.scala
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 54.
>> Hunk #2 FAILED at 72.
>> 2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/EzMGraph.scala.rej
>> patching file b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/Preamble.scala
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 105.
>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/Preamble.scala.rej
>> patching file b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/RichGraphNode.scala
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 225.
>> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/main/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/RichGraphNode.scala.rej
>> patching file b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/test/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/EzMGraphTest.scala
>> Hunk #1 FAILED at 111.
>> Hunk #2 FAILED at 120.
>> Hunk #3 FAILED at 142.
>> 3 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>> b/parent/rdf.scala.utils/src/test/scala/org/apache/clerezza/rdf/scala/utils/EzMGraphTest.scala.rej
>> reto@reto-HPE-540ch:~/projects/apache/clerezza/trunk/parent$ svn status
>> ?       b
>> ?       0001-CLEREZZA-603-EzMGraph.bnode-now-returns-a-RichGraphN.patch
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>>> Since there is a delay in the release I think it would be worth considering a
little
>>> bit more closely the patches I submitted recently:
>>>
>>> - CLEREZZA-599 - EzMGraph imports too many implicits
>>> - CLEREZZA-600 - remove need to define Preamble in code using rdf.scala.utils
>>> - CLEREZZA-603 - EzMGraph fails when working with more than one instance
>>>
>>> These are all very small patches I filed as requested. Each one is very easy
to understand and self
>>> contained. CLEREZZA-603 is the one that makes the usefulness of the others even
clearer than what