From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Size of issues/patches
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:40:10 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2011, at 08:16, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
wrote:

>>> You say in an earlier mail that my  patches are big. That is quite
wrong. My patches were very small and constantly improved with real working
examples over a period of a few months to make something that works in
practice.

>> This might point us straight to the core of the difficulties we're facing
now. You worked for several month on an issue changing 3 different projects
with commits associated to that issue.

> Those three projects were projects I was working on myself. The code was
quite isolated from anything anyone else was working on namely:

Especially for what the account control panel is concerned I would have
liked to contribute more, what discouraged me from contributing was that
most files were affected by your unfinished work on various issues and
things like provisional class-names and the heavy use of the unfinished
(unclosed and marked as deprectaed) EasyGraph api.

>  - foaf-ssl tests
>  - new features in account control panel
>  - and of course new files in the rdf.scala package that did not affect
anything else.

> I don't think anyone was complaining of their code not working due to
these new things coming up.

>> During this time others were hindered from working on the affected
projects.

> Nonsense. Your a drama queen.
Have a look at the list of commits to the acp, since your unfinished work is
in trunk nobody else contributed (except for a few regressions I patched).

Reto

>> Now you're close to a resolution of the issue with 711 new lines in the
main branch of the main project. The patch I'm proposing to resolve the
issue is less than 200 lines (again not including tests) of length.

> You're a genius Reto. You know that! Don't be shy.
>
> Henry
>

>> While imho it offers some improvements compared with your patch it is
obviously less comprehensive and I've omitted parts of what you implemented.
But I think it is a suitable single step of an iterative development
process, so it can be proposed and the community can decide if this is an
improvement and can be accepted.  I think the parts I omitted can be part of
other issues without disadvantages and thus should be parts of other issues.