From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Size of issues/patches
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 06:16:14 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

You say in an earlier mail that my  patches are big. That is quite wrong. My
> patches were very small and constantly improved with real working examples
> over a period of a few months to make something that works in practice.

This might point us straight to the core of the difficulties we're facing
now. You worked for several month on an issue changing 3 different projects
with commits associated to that issue. During this time others were hindered
from working on the affected projects. Now you're close to a resolution of
the issue with 711 new lines in the main branch of the main project. The
patch I'm proposing to resolve the issue is less than 200 lines (again not
including tests) of length. While imho it offers some improvements compared
with your patch it is obviously less comprehensive and I've omitted parts of
what you implemented. But I think it is a suitable single step of an
iterative development process, so it can be proposed and the community can
decide if this is an improvement and can be accepted.  I think the parts I
omitted can be part of other issues without disadvantages and thus should be
parts of other issues.

Cheers,
Reto