From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: Size of issues/patches
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 07:16:21 GMT

On 1 Jul 2011, at 08:16, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>
> You say in an earlier mail that my  patches are big. That is quite wrong. My patches
were very small and constantly improved with real working examples over a period of a few
months to make something that works in practice.

> This might point us straight to the core of the difficulties we're facing now. You worked
for several month on an issue changing 3 different projects with commits associated to that
issue.

Those three projects were projects I was working on myself. The code was quite isolated from
anything anyone else was working on namely:

 - foaf-ssl tests
 - new features in account control panel
 - and of course new files in the rdf.scala package that did not affect anything else.

I don't think anyone was complaining of their code not working due to these new things coming
up.

> During this time others were hindered from working on the affected projects.

Nonsense. Your a drama queen.

> Now you're close to a resolution of the issue with 711 new lines in the main branch of
the main project. The patch I'm proposing to resolve the issue is less than 200 lines (again
not including tests) of length.

You're a genius Reto. You know that! Don't be shy.

Henry

> While imho it offers some improvements compared with your patch it is obviously less
comprehensive and I've omitted parts of what you implemented. But I think it is a suitable
single step of an iterative development process, so it can be proposed and the community can
decide if this is an improvement and can be accepted.  I think the parts I omitted can be
part of other issues without disadvantages and thus should be parts of other issues.

> Cheers,
> Reto

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/