From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: apply-method for language
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2011 22:45:24 GMT

On 20 Jun 2011, at 17:57, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:

> Hi Henry
>
> I'm trying to add some test for the implicit conversions (A separate test-file so it
doesn't interfere with the one you're writing) and I'm unable to get implicit conversion for
the apply-methods, did you ever succeed using them?

> zz>"hello"('en)
> "hello"('en)
> <console>:38: error: type mismatch;
>  found   : java.lang.String
>  required: ?{val apply: ?}
> Note that implicit conversions are not applicable because they are ambiguous:
>  both method string2lit in object EasyGraph of type (str: String)org.apache.clerezza.rdf.scala.utils.PlainLiteralScala
>  and method augmentString in object Predef of type (x: String)scala.collection.immutable.StringOps
>  are possible conversion functions from java.lang.String to ?{val apply: ?}
>        "hello"(en)

I don't think I used them. I was thinking originally of creating vals (or whatever the right
system would be) for each of the languages so that one could just write "hello"(en). I think
I only have a few languages I created constants for as an idea to be developed. This was before
I knew about 'en notation.  Having constants has the advantage of type safety: the compiler
could easily check for misspelled languages. 'en does not allow this to be verified by the
compiler. On the other hand it is more work to write out all the languages.

The signature for apply would be something like

def apply(lang: Lang)

or something like that.

Henry

> Cheers,