From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: You should be happy that you get this free reviewing -- Re: [VOTE] Accept the proposed patch of CLEREZZA-540
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:36:54 GMT

On 7 Jun 2011, at 13:32, Tsuyoshi Ito wrote:

> Hi Henry
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>wrote:
>
>> Each of these depend somewhat on the other, and there are 1000s of ways to
>> implement them. What is important is to implement something to demo, then
>> one can refactor later.
>
> The trunk is not a sandbox to play around.

I am not playing around. I spent 6 months learning ZZ which is not an easy framework. The
documentation for it has only just been made available.

My aim from the beginning was very clear: to add those distributed social network features,
and I have been consistently implementing those, hoping for feedback  along the way, to see
how to do this in ZZ the best way. Of course this is quite different from anything that you
may have seen before, and builds on the semantic web in a very serious way. Tim Berners Lee
introduced the Berlin conference shortly and emphasized the importance of WebID a few times
to the Social Web.

ZZ being a Semantic Web CMS will need these tools in the core in order to allow flexible distributed
access control. Virtuoso OpenLink already has these built in. But building them does of course
bring up some limitations in the current framework.

> Especially if you add a lot of new features or change existing code you should work in
an issue as we all
> do (I don't know if this was the case here).

I have a local sandbox where I tested my code before adding it to the trunk. Very little of
the
code I commited broke anything, and when it did it was fixed quickly. But I can't add these
interesting features both in small steps, and simultaneously have it all working perfectly
as I go along.

So perhaps I should come over to Switerzerland, and we should discuss how we can integrate
these features more consistenly. There are quite a few places where we need to work with interaction
designers to make the user experience consistent. But without a prototype it is difficult
to explain how these features need to work to interaction designers for them to be able to
contribute.

I am happy to work together with people to build this. But I can't both do it all myself and
do it quickly in one step.

Henry

> cheers
> tsuy