From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: How to name things with URIs
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 14:52:44 GMT
Perhaps the better thing to do is to think of this in terms of an API

Let's imagine that UriRef allows for relative URIs. This would be really nice,
as it would mean that code in rdf ssp or jsr311  would not need to know where
it was going to be placed in order to make statements.

So I would like to be able to write code with

("/user/"+uname+"/#me").uri a FOAF.Person

without having to know what the server this was being served on.

Also the cache I would like to just do

val andreiGN = cache.fetch("http://fcns.eu/people/andrei/card#me")

Perhaps later we can add methods such as

  cache.fetchAs(joe,"http://fcns.eu/people/andrei/card#me")

because joe has more rights. A bit like the Java security architecture

  subject.doAs(...)

   and then even have

  andreiGN FOAF.knows  ("/user/"+uname+"/#me").uri

Then there is the question what the graphs are named.

But could that not be just made into an interface for relative graphs to local ones? One
implementation could call do it the simple way I propose. Another the simple way reto
proposes, and then a third complex way may in fact place all the information of when something
was fetched and by whome and put that in a graph which it queries before what returning what
is perhaps in the end just a bnode for the graph name.

   Henry

On 13 May 2011, at 16:11, Henry Story wrote:

> On 13 May 2011, at 16:07, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
>
>>   > Well I did suggest an alternative in
>> >
>> >      https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-489
>> >
>> > and in fact that is what the WebProxy implements - I think.
>> >
>> > And that is in short that remote graphs use the name of the remote
>> > resource from which they come, and local graphs have local names.
>>
>> I argues why i strongly believe the local cache version must have a distint name
than the remote graph. I agree the the original .cache suffix was not at all ideal, but i
disagree with your change of just naming it by the uri of the remote graph.

> Sorry I must have missed that argument. Where do you argue that a local cache version
must have a distinct name?

> Henry
>

> Social Web Architect
> http://bblfish.net/