From Tsuyoshi Ito <tsuy....@trialox.org>
Subject Re: extending GraphNode with generics
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 10:45:37 GMT
Hi

I am using quite often subtypes of GraphNode in my projects for a
specific domain. I have also seen Decorators/Wrappers of GraphNode in
other projects. So, currently I don't see the benefit of the proposed
change in clerezza. I think users should extend GraphNode for their
specific needs - or what kind of subtypes do you propose for clerezza,
Reto?

cheers
tsuy

2011/5/20 Reto Bachmann-Gmür <reto.bachmann@trialox.org>:
> I think it is very straight forward to add a generic type to graphnode. It needs changing
lots of code to prevent warning, in most cases i think we have to add a <?> or <Resource>,
the situation where we actually have a method declared to return an objetc with a concrete
type param are relatively seldom.

> What motivates the change? Graphnode is a convenience object, where not all methods are
usable for every instance. Rather than having generics we could also just have 3 or 4 subtypes,
in this cas we could not just have more concrete return types for getNode but also have methods
that only apply to a specifc type.

> But again, seeing where you think the change would bring concrete benefits would make
it easier to discuss the proposal.