From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Friendly RDF and Gremlin
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 17:50:01 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, but the auth distinction could be made along similar lines to
> http/https - it's orthogonal. I do think at some point we end up
> caching graphs (and their provenance to, I hope) but the bit I like
> about danbri's Gremlin play is that it's a really stateless wander.
> Starting from the assumption that the graph is public, we go and forth
> as we choose.
I don't think an implementation without caching is possible. What
happens when you iterate through properties, an rdf:List or retrieve
the properties of neigbouring nodes that have a hash or is bnode, I
assume in all these cases only one request is made an then it is
cached.

> You know I'm a big fan of SPARQL, but the Gremlin approach really does
> seem to render a lot of that redundant. Ok, maybe while you're walking
> the Web you might want to pass the data into a local SQL DB (for
> example), but being able to walk the paths could be really useful.
Tha's exactly the approach of the clerezza RDF DSL you use / and /- to
wander through the nodes, adding a virtual Semweb graph (GGG) that
dereferences resources is trivial with or without caching (but with no
caching at all you would have sever limitations). Curious what the
caching policy of Gremlin is.

> SPARQL 1.1 has path stuff, looks good on paper, but let's say you've
> set up your eCommerce site, being able to walk with data spectacles on
> looks good to me.
exactly.

Reto