incubator-clerezza-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Reto Bachmann-Gmür (JIRA) <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Closed] (CLEREZZA-548) Missing DOCTYPE declarations on Clerezza pages lead to XML errors in Firefox.
Date Wed, 25 May 2011 20:31:47 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-548?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Reto Bachmann-Gmür closed CLEREZZA-548.
---------------------------------------

    Resolution: Not A Problem

&uuml; is not defined in XHTML, use the unicode character ü instead. Beside that it would
be not trivial to add the doctype declaration it seems unnecessary to have the browser load
this entity/character definitions from the dtd (actually not directly but from http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent
which is referenced in the DTD).

> Missing DOCTYPE declarations on Clerezza pages lead to XML errors in Firefox.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: CLEREZZA-548
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-548
>             Project: Clerezza
>          Issue Type: Bug
>         Environment: Ubuntu 10.10, Firefox 3.6.17
>            Reporter: Daniel Spicar
>
> When pages use HTML entities (e.g. &uuml;) in their source Firefox 3.6 fails to render
the page because of an error (in FF error console):
> "XML Parsing Error: undefined entity"
> This can be solved by adding a DOCTYPE declaration at the top of that page.
> e.g.
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
> However it seems that none of the SSP generated pages in Clerezza do that and I am not
aware of how to do it in SSP. If I add it to the SSP source I get an exception when the SSP
is parsed:
> ScriptException rendering ScalaServerPage: 
> org.apache.clerezza.scala.scripting.CompileErrorsException: <script1>:17: error:
in XML literal: '-' expected instead of 'D'<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Strict//EN"  ^<script1>:17: error: in XML literal: '-' expected instead of 'O'<!DOCTYPE
html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"   ^<script1>:65: error: input ended while
parsing XML}
> I think this issue is pretty serious because when a page contains HTML specific entities
(like umlauts, &lt; will work as it is allowed in all XML documents) it will just not
render or only render partially in Firefox. Also there is no clear indication that this error
occurs unless you check the FF error console (which is easy to forget). I also tested with
Opera which didn't have the issue. But it seems it is not a Firefox bug that we do not declare
X(HT)ML documents correctly.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message