From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: branching in git-svn
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 11:00:06 GMT
To create a new branch one has to use svn. That is easy, because if SVN has one thing that
it is
better at than git, it is its web integration.

svn copy https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/trunk/parent https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/branches/bblfish
-m "a branch of fishy things"

This then explains how to work with git and remote branches.

   http://www.jukie.net/bart/blog/svn-branches-in-git

I had already checked out my directory using --stdlayout
So now after having created the new remote branch I ran

$ git svn rebase

But that does not update the other branches. So I ran

$ git svn fetch

Well it's been running for at least half an hour now if not more.... (which is really annoying
because I wanted to go to a scala rdf talk in Paris, and need to catch the train soon)

My feeling is that this is not going to work very well, as keeping different branches
up to date is going to end up generating a lot of mail and end up being confusing on the list.

But I think it is worth trying  a little bit.

On 27 May 2011, at 10:26, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Henry,
>
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> I am trying to work out how to do a remote branch using git-svn.
>>
>> It is easy to do them locally, but I am not sure what the correct way of doing them
remotely is.

> Did you check http://git.apache.org/ and the documentation that that points to?
>
> I'm not using that myself but that should explain how things work.

Yes, perhaps that method of submitting patches is not such a bad idea. Though having a remote
repository on github would make testing of new ideas easier perhaps, as people could just
mount the
remote branch. I suppose that for the size of the Clerezza project one would start needing
a paying
access to github...

Henry

> -Bertrand