From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: release planning
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:01:58 GMT

On 6 Apr 2011, at 10:47, Hasan Hasan wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>
> On 6 Apr 2011, at 09:02, Hasan Hasan wrote:
>
>> Hi Henry
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> I'd say the account control panel is also in progress.
>>
>> ok, I'll change its state in the issue if it hasn't been done yet.
>>
>> Though I think it should be easy to divide the 'experimental' part form the 'stable'
part.
>> (The whole of Clerezza is pretty experimental, so of course those distinctions are
very arbitrary)

>> We have been developing Clerezza for more than 2 years now. Some parts of the code
may be experimental,
>> but I wouldn't agree that the whole is experimental.
>
> What about 'original' ?
>
> "Large parts of Clerezza are original." Sounds better :-)
>

>> It also depends on what the timetable for the release is.
>>
>> Clerezza entered Apache incubator, if I can correctly recall, around November 2009.
I would really like to see that after more than one year, we are able to provide a release
version.
> I fully understand. That's why I pointed out to early June in another thread yesterday
as a good time to release as there is a Federated Social Web conference that really needs
the features that Clerezza has put together.

> I hope so regarding the conference participants. I assume you'll participate in the conf
and either in a formal or informal way you'd like to tell or demonstrate to them the capability
of clerezza.

Yes, I really want to do a demo there. I am also, I discovered, on the Program Committee

   http://d-cent.org/fsw2011/

(I wonder if I can get the Apache logo up there...)

> Surely, by early June, we will have a more "stable" version of features you want to show
or tell and that they can play with.

Indeed I hope so very much. That is the goal. Early June is not that far away at time goes
by very fast.

> However, a company (the initiator) is using Clerezza in at least two of its projects
and would like to see a stable version of Clerezza, the sooner the better.
> I wonder what others think about the release deadline.

> What we are building here are a few simple demos that show why one needs something like
ZZ, and cannot do without. They will make sense of ZZ to people without needing to give them
large theoretical demonstrations and explanations. This hopefully will pull a lot of developers,
so we can progress more quickly.

> Your efforts and others in the community in building such demos are very much appreciated.
I do see the potentials of such demos to attract more developers and in the end will benefit
us as well.

> cheers
> hasan
>

> Henry
>

>> cheers
>> hasan
>>
>>  Henry
>>

>> On 5 Apr 2011, at 11:03, Hasan Hasan wrote:
>>
>> > Dear All
>> >
>> > We have been very late in providing a release version of Apache Clerezza.
>> > I'd like to push a bit our efforts in this direction.
>> >
>> > 1) New release date
>> > A separate email will be sent around to request votes on a new release date
>> >
>> > 2) Included modules
>> > All modules listed in the release profile (pom.xml of parent), see also
>> > CLEREZZA-485 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-485>.
>> > I suggest, if a module is not ready on the release date, it is taken out of
>> > the release version
>> > in order to NOT delay releasing Apache Clerezza any further.
>> >
>> > I think it is important to assign one or two responsible persons to each
>> > module.
>> > To start, I'll assign our names to each module in
>> > CLEREZZA-485<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLEREZZA-485>
>> > .
>> > Feel free to update or add your names to those modules that you want to be
>> > responsible for.
>> >
>> > 3) Functionality within modules
>> > I suggest that for the time being no additional features are added to the
>> > module, but let us
>> > concentrate on bug fixing and performance improvement.
>> >
>> > 4) API
>> > I recommend to not alter any API intended for application developers. API
>> > intended for use within Clerezza
>> > may be changed if needed, but should be avoided.
>> >
>> > Further suggestions?
>> >
>> > Kind regards
>> > Hasan
>>
>> Social Web Architect