From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: howto: start clerezza and put it in the background
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 09:00:31 GMT
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>wrote:

> On remote servers one needs to start ZZ in such a way that it can continue
> workingeven when the telnet connection to the server is broken. If one just
> naively starts clerezza and breaks the telnet connection clerezza will be
> killed.
>
> On unix I think one has to  use the "screen" program, run clerezza, and
> then detach. One can then either attach locally again, or connect via ssh .

An alternative to using screen is to use nohup. for this you have to diable
the conole shell with with the framework property clerezza.shell.disable set
to true, this can be done by starting java with
-Dclerezza.shell.disable=true

nohup is more generally available than screen and can also be used in
init-scripts. We might add a regular command line paramter to disable the
console shell.

> Perhaps something like this to be added to documentation?

I think we should provide instructions and/or support tools for installing
an init-script to have clerezza start automatically.

Reto