From Tsuyoshi Ito <tsuy....@trialox.org>
Subject Re: website apache clerezza
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:38:25 GMT
Hi

I had 2 problems in the past to update the current apache clerezza site:
1. only reto had write permission => this is fixed (INFRA-3477)
2. the process to update the website was too complicated for me ( I
tried to add an archticture documentation: CLEREZZA-334)

IMO having a  website with useful information for [potential] users
should be the focus right now. Furthermore it should be easy to update
for ever committer (also users who are not committers but want to
contribute to the content of the website should be able to deliver a
patch.

But I think we should discuss solutions for the future, which should
be clerezza based (as suggested by Henry or  it is also possible to
use trialox cms components)

I have had a quick look into Apache CMS and think this is a way to go.
Or storing the website content directly in the svn repository is also
solution in the short term for me.

Cheers
Tsuy

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2011, at 11:49, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer wrote:
>

>> If in another half a year we see that even after having repeatedly updated
>> the site it still takes unbearable extra-time to perform an update then we
>> should reconsider changing the process. Apache CMS might be an alternative,
>> static html files hardly are.
>
> This is a bit above my knowledge here, but I'd suggest that static pages are excellent
> for documentation, and that is what is perhaps most needed for new developers to
> come along. The backend logic for that is so simple, it could easily be done
> in a wiki even. Once done it can always be slurped into Clerezza and republished
> there it seems to me. It could even be a useful module to have: if Apache is used
> to publishing sites a certain way, then a module that used input generated that way,
> with a bit of rdfa markup perhaps, would make for an easy transition.
>
> The pages here
>
>  https://incubator.apache.org/clerezza/spike/
>
> look very good.
>
> We should at some point develop a module where html developers need to know nothing
> at all about clerezza in order to generate templates that they can use. This is the
> thinking that led to projects such as
>
>  - Enhydra XMLC [1] (2000->)
>  - apache wicket [2]
>  - lift scala library [3]
>
> What would be useful would be to tune the experience gained form those and see how the
semantic web could add a further improvement to them.

> But in any case if html devs want to make beautiful pages, the experience of those frameworks
is that what they produce has to be html.