From Henry Story <henry.st...@bblfish.net>
Subject Re: website apache clerezza
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:34:42 GMT
Hi all,

  Having the web site site https://incubator.apache.org/clerezza/ look good on first access
is really important, especially as I am telling everyone how interesting a project this is.

  So in my view it does not matter at all how this is done, as long as it looks good, the
documentation is available there immediately, it is stable, and nobody can kill the server.

  Then the really interesting part is to see how the process can be guided by the pure html
crowd. As far as possible those devs should have need to no tools other than an editor (vi
is a must*) and a bunch of browsers. No JSPs, not complex language to learn. Perhaps server
side includes are allowed. HTML and aesthetics are two fields that are complex enough to learn
for anyone.

  How far can they go with the above, without this work getting tedious for them?

  For the documentation, my guess is that that's all that is needed. For more dynamic sites
one would like to be able to get going from that somehow. But the burden should be on the
code to fetch real working templates, cut them into pieces and display them dynamically.

  Then the interesting bit is how can the semweb make things simpler. Perhaps one can just
describe a page as a bunch of templates, distributed around the web? One simple rdf file that
points to a bunch of places, a server that fetches those and builds the views?

Currently the documentation is here I am finding out

  - http://localhost:8080/documentation/
  - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/clerezza/site/trunk/readme.txt

I'll look at that in more detail as soon as I fixed some issues in the code I am working on.

It should not matter in the end how documentation is written. The page for a component can
have a seealso link to the mvn component for example. As long as the pieces are cleanly seperatable
and nameable.

 Clerezza is not in my view mostly a CMS. It's much bigger than that: it's a key piece of
the distributed social web. If it were just a CMS it would not be interesting: there are thousands
of those already. The semantic web piece is interesting because it should allow us to get
us all to collaborate a lot more easily.

   Just my 2 cents.

	Henry

* ;-) just trying to start an old religious war here. No Dreamweaver is what people at AltaVista
used 10 years ago. I think they still do.