From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Namespace handling in Clerezza and JSON-LD serialization
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:39:37 GMT
Hi Fabian

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM, Fabian Christ
<christ.fabian@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> as one part of the EU funded project "Interactive Knowledge Stack" IKS
> [1] and by this part of the Apache FOO incubation proposal we currently
> use Clerezza as one underlying framework.
>
> Currently, I'm implementing a JSON-LD [2] serializer as part of the FISE
> component [3]. This serializer implements the Clerezza
> SerializingProvider interface. So this serializer is basically a
> Clerezza serializer.
>
> The JSON-LD format supports namespaces, so we need some way to manage
> known namespaces and their prefixes within the whole system. An example
> of a JSON-LD output looks like this:
>
> {
>    "#": {
>        "dbpedia": "http:\/\/dbpedia.org\/ontology\/",
>        "dcterms": "http:\/\/purl.org\/dc\/terms",
>        "fise": "http:\/\/fise.iks-project.eu\/ontology\/",
>        "xmlns": "http:\/\/www.w3.org\/2001\/XMLSchema#"
>    },
>    "@": "<urn:iks-project:fise:test:text-annotation:Person>",
>    "a": [
>        "<http:\/\/fise.iks-project.eu\/ontology\/Enhancement>",
>        "<http:\/\/fise.iks-project.eu\/ontology\/TextAnnotation>"
>    ],
>    "dcterms:\/created": "\"2010-10-27\"^^<xmlns:dateTime>",
>    "dcterms:\/creator": "urn:iks-project:fise:test:dummyEngine",
>    "dcterms:\/type": "dbpedia:Person",
>    "fise:end": "\"20\"^^<xmlns:int>",
>    "fise:selected-text": "\"Patrick Marshall\"^^<xmlns:string>",
>    "fise:selection-context": "\"Dr. Patrick ..\"^^<xmlns:string>",
>    "fise:start": "\"4\"^^<xmlns:int>"
> }
>
> This brings us to two questions:
>
> 1) How does Clerezza handle the namespaces and prefixes? Is there some
> centralized service that FOO could use? If there is no namespace
> handling yet, what are the Clerezza plans here? Maybe we could find a
> solution that is useful for both projects.

That's indeed something that should be done, a service that gives prefix
suggestions for namespace prefixes.

> 2) Is the Clerezza community interested in the JSON-LD serializer? We
> would be happy to commit the code to Clerezza instead of our own code
> base and support Clerezza.

That's great! What is the media-type for the JSON-LD and do you now how it
compares with the format currently served as application/rdf+json (I see
that LD looks nice and compact, are there client-side libraries that support
it?).

Cheers,
Reto