From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <reto.bachm...@trialox.org>
Subject Re: Users as UriRefs instead of BNodes
Date Tue, 19 Oct 2010 11:57:40 GMT
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Tsuyoshi Ito <tsuy.ito@trialox.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmuer
> <reto.bachmann@trialox.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Tsuyoshi Ito <tsuy.ito@trialox.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Users as BNodes are very troublesome in the daily business especially
> >> if apps using their own graphs. I know in theory it makes sense to
> >> have users as BNodes but i suggest not to use users as BNodes in
> >> praxis.
> >>
> > I think its completely ok not to offer some functionality to users as
> long
> > as they don't have a WebId, this is what is currently done  (without
> WebId
> > no user graphs).
>
> Missunderstanding, try to explain it: Developers creating apps. these
> apps associate users with content in their own graphs therefore a
> BNode with the necessary data of a user has to be stored in the app
> graph. Methods have to be implemented to retrieve users and associate
> them with the system graph users. This procedure is error-prone.
>
> Therefore I suggest not to use Bnodes as default option because it
> makes the live a lot easier for the developers.

I see this, this is why I suggest the application makes its functionality
depending on the availability of a URI for the user. If a User without URI
attempts to use the application she can either create a new WebId or connect
with her existing WebId/OpenId (of course the application has just to
redirect to the profile page).

Cheers,
reto