From Reto Bachmann-Gmuer <r...@apache.org>
Subject Imagemagick
Date Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:57:09 GMT
Hello

For a long time CLEREZZA-265 has been open know, essentially the issues asks
for support for newer versions of Imagemagick. The tests are only executed
when the right Version of Imagemagick is available and apparently hang
(according to CLEREZZA-326).

Manuel has been working on CLEREZZA-265, unfortunately the chosen approach
had to be reverted for license reasons (lgpl library).

What shall we do? I see the following options:

   - Ditch the imagemagick bundle. As CLEREZZA-265 got votes and Imagemagick
   creates better quality images than the java2d libraries this is probably not
   a very popular option.
   - Implement support for more versions of Imagemagick without using LGPL
   code, and fix the problem with hanging test. Due to the many Versions of
   Imagemagick, I think this would be a big task.
   - Donate Manuel's LGPL code to a project outside Apache that provides
   Clerezza Bundles that cannot be part of an Apache project (in a future
   Clerezza components and update manager such a project could then be in the
   "multiverse" index... ).

Other ideas?

Manuel, as you worked with the code, could you estimate how much work it
would be to fix CLEREZZA-265 without the LGPLed library?

Cheers,
reto