From Eric Yang <eric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Agent and collector
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:37:32 GMT
Hi Tp,

1) Yes, chukwa communicate over http.  By default, collector listens to port 8080.

2) If agent only has one collect defined in it's collector list.  It will retry the same collector
after a few second pause.

3) There are 2 additional features for improving end-to-end reliability.  In Chukwa collector,
you can turn on httpConnector.asyncAcks=true.  This will ensure Agent resend data if the data
has not been committed.  A second method is to use localWriter to buffer the data on local
disk of the collector and periodically upload the data to HDFS.  Both options can be configured
in chukwa-collector-conf.xml.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Eric

On Jul 29, 2011, at 11:04 AM, T. A. Smooth wrote:

> Hello I am checking out Chukwa. I have a few questions I was hoping the mail list could
answer :-)

> 1)Does Chukwa agents communicate to collectors over http? Or some other protocol?
>
> The agent configuration makes me believe that: http://incubator.apache.org/chukwa/docs/r0.4.0/admin.html#Configuration
>
> 2) And the docs it seems an Agent will pick a collector at random and then use that collect
until there is a problem in communicating with it. How do you think the agent/collector would
act if they have a load balancer between them? For example, the agent configuration would
have just one url http://collector-loadbalancer. example.com:8080/

> The load balancer would have 1 or more collectors behind it saving the chunks it receives
to disk or hadoop.

> 3) Does chukwa have any “end-to-end” reliability features for message delivery? For
example, a collector may receive the chunk from the agent but it may have a problem writing
it to the data store. (ie. Disk space full, connection to hadoop down) . Will the agent be
notified that the chunk was not processed for a certain reason and the agent is told to cache
to disk the missed message?