From James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>
Subject Re: speeding up demux
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:40:06 GMT
Thank you.  Just evaluating where we are going to go from 0.3.0  :)

On 2011-06-01, at 2:33 PM, Eric Yang wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> 1) Trunk is most stable than any previous release, but it needs more documentation.
> 2) Performance is the same for sequence file writer, and 200-300X faster data availability,
if the data is streamed to HBase.
> 3) Check out http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/chukwa/trunk/CHANGES.txt
> 4) Yes it does.  Let us know if there is any questions.
>
> The setup instruction is located at: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Chukwa_Quick_Start
>
> Hope it works for you. :)
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
> On 6/1/11 1:01 PM, "James Seigel" <james@tynt.com> wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> I am seriously considering what you are suggesting in this email, even though it goes
against what would seem to make sense.  I have a couple of questions if anyone has the time
to answer.

> 1) How stable is trunk right now?
> 2) Any performance improvements/degredations since 0.3
> 3) Is there a pseudo change log between “trunk” and 0.4 that I could take a peak
at at this point
> 4) does it compile ;)
>
> Cheers and thanks for your time!
>
> James.
>

> On 2011-05-27, at 9:58 AM, Eric Yang wrote:
>
> I would recommend to skip Chukwa 0.4 and go to the trunk.  In addition, use HBaseWriter
to stream data into HBase in parallel, hence, the data can be processed in near real time
for demux.

> Regards,
> Eric
>
> On 5/26/11 8:30 PM, "Bill Graham" <billgraham@gmail.com <x-msg://109/billgraham@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> This seems possible, but one thing that would need to be changed is the directories that
demux uses. For example:
> demuxProcessing/mrInput
> demuxProcessing/mrOutput
>
> These would need to dynamic directories with the timestamp or something else in them
to keep two jobs from interfering with each other.

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Corbin Hoenes <corbin@tynt.com <x-msg://109/corbin@tynt.com>
> wrote:
> Finding demux to be a bit too slow for our needs.  It seems like only 1 runs at a time;
is there some technical reason why we couldn't run a couple in parallel?  If so any hints
on how difficult it would be to run multiple demuxers at a time?