From Eric Yang <eric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Chukwa as monitoring tool.
Date Wed, 29 Dec 2010 03:33:59 GMT
Hi Akshay,

In both options, data down sampling is required.  RRDTools is doing
data down sampling when the data is written to the RRD files.  Chukwa
0.4 uses mysql for data down sampling.  The graph is then rendered
using flot (http://code.google.com/p/flot/) graphing library to serve
the data.  There was also a prototype to render graph on the server
side with jfreechart.  However, there was no clear interface to expose
graph-able data.

In Chukwa 0.5, we are decoupling the data with the graph library.
There is a REST API interface to get metrics data. (See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHUKWA-520) However, Chukwa 0.5
is still under development, the data down sampling has shifted from
sql statements into mapreduce/pig-latin script.  I have not determine
what will be in the final framework.  It is most likely to use Oozie
as workflow scheduling engine to run mapreduce/pipg-latin jobs to
provide down sampling and aggregation framework.

You are welcome to try out code from trunk (0.5).  The current
limitation is to avoid using a large time range and there is no
aggregation.  Hope this helps.

regards,
Eric

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Akshay Kumar <kumar.akshay@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have GWT as the front-end, where I want to embed this information in one
> of the following ways:
> a) Simply embed RRDtool kind of generated images. That means, I will have to
> run rrdtool ( I am looking at rrd4j) on server side and convert the data to
> RRD format on agent/server side.
> b) Use some graphing library - like http://dygraphs.com/.
> I am not expecting too much of volume. To start with simple CPU, Memory and
> hadoop metrics collected from 20 or so machines collected at a rate not more
> than 10 per minute per metric.
> Thanks,
> Akshay
> On 27 December 2010 00:05, Ariel Rabkin <asrabkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 16 GB isn't a hard limit, just a suggestion. And that's based on the
>> assumption that you have a big cluster and are collecting a lot of
>> data and using the older MySQL based infrastructure.
>>
>>  How much memory you need depends on what volume of data you're
>> collecting and what you're doing with it. How do you intend to store
>> the data and how will you be visualizing it?
>>

>> --Ari
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Akshay Kumar <kumar.akshay@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Thanks,
>> > In my setup, I can not afford ( as of now) to have a machine with 16GB
>> > memory.
>> > So that means, I can not deploy Chukwa as a monitoring solution ?  I do
>> > not
>> > intend to do any log analysis / collection for now - just simple OS and
>> > hadoop metrics.
>> >
>> > I mean, I do not understand why would one have 16GB has hard limit for
>> > minimal functioning too.
>> > I imagine it should be for a high performance system and not bare-bones
>> > structure. What am I missing here?
>> >
>> > -Akshay

HICC.  It