From Kirk True <k...@mustardgrain.com>
Subject Re: Rolling out incremental changes to Chukwa cluster?
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 19:04:33 GMT
Hi all,

I'm interested in this too. Is there any objection to creating a
mechanism and/or naming convention that would allow certain files (like
mdl.xml) to be split into data-type specific files? If not, any tips on
how to go about it? :)

Thanks,
Kirk

On 5/19/10 2:27 PM, William Bajzek wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am looking for a good way to roll out updates to my client's chukwa deployment. Over
time, they will be incrementally adding new Demuxes and the associated configuration and schema
(they are using Mysql and do not intend to change). Is there a recommended way of doing this?
It looks like as it is, one would have to add the new configuration information to each node,
run schema change scripts, and then bounce the cluster. I didn't see a way of adding schema
incrementally, so I assume we will either need to do it in individual scripts and then add
them to the main database_create_tables.sql script, or else come up with some mechanism for
breaking that script up into manageable chunks.

> We're thinking of reusing chukwa's mechanism for sending commands out to the nodes on
the cluster to push out the config changes, then bounce Chukwa and Hadoop on each of the nodes,
and finally add the new JARs to hadoop.

> I think the other outstanding question is, how do we make sure we're not interrupting
a running job when we stop and start the cluster?