From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Begin a discussion about Chukwa as a top level project
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 00:32:10 GMT
Besides the one pro that Eric points out (having more latitude to control
the direction of Chukwa), are there any other strong pros or cons that is
influencing people votes?

There were some discussions on the Pig list regarding the issue, and I think
a few of the points apply similarly to Chukwa. To paraphrase a few:

Reasons to become TLP:
- Is there a plan to make the Chukwa agnostic to the underlying data
storage/analysis engine (i.e. Hadoop)? If so, then TLP makes more sense.

Reasons to not become TLP:
- Would the project be able to grow it's community base better as a Hadoop
project through better site integration with Hadoop (i.e., seo and such)?
Basically, would more people find out about Chukwa?

The Pig folks are leaning towards not becoming a TLP until the day comes
when the technology is to become Hadoop agnostic.

Just throwing out their rational to get an feel for why Chukwa's would
differ? Would Chukwa get more support and guidance from being a TLP? Or
would Chukwa's resources (considerably fewer than Pigs) be overly taxed with
administrative responsibilities as a TLP?

I don't know the answer to these questions, but just throwing them out as
fuel for discussion. I personally could go either way, provided there's a
good argument where the pros clearly outweigh the cons.

thanks,
Bill