From Jerome Boulon <jbou...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: How to set up HDFS -> MySQL from trunk?
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:49:53 GMT
Do you have a Jira for that, so we can continue the discussion there?

The reason, I'm asking this, is because I guess that if you need to move out
of Mysql it's because you need to scale. And if you need to scale then you
need partitioning and Voldemort and Hbase are already working on this (or
all No-SQL implementations)?.

Voldemort index/data files can be built using Hadoop and Hbase is already
using Tfile.

Thanks,
/Jerome.

On 3/19/10 12:33 PM, "Eric Yang" <eyang@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> I am not planning to have SQL on top of HDFS.  Chukwa MetricDataLoader
> subsystem is a index builder.  The replacement part of the index builder is
> either Tfile or a streaming job to build the index, and having distributed
> processes to cache the index by keeping the Tfile open or load the index to
> memory.  For aggregation, this could be replaced with second stage
> mapreduce, or workflow subsystem like Oozie.  It could also be replaced with
> Hive, if the community likes this approach.
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
> On 3/19/10 11:30 AM, "Jerome Boulon" <jboulon@netflix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>> Correct me if I’m wrong but to get that “the SQL portion of Chukwa is
>> deprecated, and the HDFS-based replacement is six months out”,
>> You need a SQL like engine otherwise is not a replacement.
>> So does that mean you’re planning to get a SQL like engine working on top of
>> HDFS in less than 6 months ?
>> If yes, do you already have some working code?
>> What are the performance that you’re targeting since even if Mysql is not
>> scalable, you can still do a bunch of things ...
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   /Jerome.
>>
>> On 3/18/10 8:59 PM, "Kirk True" <kirk@mustardgrain.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> Awesome - everything's working great now.
>>>
>>> So, as you've said, the SQL portion of Chukwa is deprecated, and the
>>> HDFS-based replacement is six months out. What should I do to get the data
>>> from the adapters->collectors->HDFS->HICC? Is the HDFS-based HICC
>>> replacement
>>> spec'ed out enough for others to contribute?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Kirk

 The

<value>org.apache.hadoop.chukwa.dataloader.MetricDataLoaderPool,org.apach>>>>>>

HICC

 I am making

HDFS -> MySQL