From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to (physically) place the collector
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:53:57 GMT
I think best practice is actually to have the collector on the
datanode[s].   There's no particular reason to funnel fs writes
through the namenode, since traffic to the nn is very small compared
to the overall volume being written.

The collector is not only writing every five minutes. The collector is
writing continuously. However, the filesystem doesn't promise that
data will be visible until a block boundary, which we impose every
five minutes at least by closing files.

--Ari

--
Ari Rabkin asrabkin@gmail.com