From Ellen Strnod <estr...@annealsoft.com>
Subject Chunk sequence IDs other than byte counts?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 01:43:50 GMT
I am a new user, contemplating using Chukwa with data which will be
read from a JMS queue.  I expect to write an adapter which will read
from the queue and create text records which will be chunked and sent
to the collector.  My question - does anyone know if the chunk
sequence ID, which the Chukwa architecture document says is the
number of bytes the adapter has sent, could be any other repeatable
sequential number, or does it have to be a byte count?  (To return to
this number is a little problematic in case of a restart,  but the
records coming off the queue have id's which I would like to use.)

I was also looking for a streaming adapter implementation and ran
across this in Jira: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHUKWA-102
- it seems that this adapter may have the same problem (maybe even
more so, since it is intended to read from a stream rather than a
queue) so maybe someone in the project has already given this some
thought.

Thanks in advance,
Ellen