From Guillermo Pérez <bi...@tuenti.com>
Subject How to integrate syslog-ng with chukwa
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 12:30:22 GMT
Probably people here already have experience integrating syslog-ng and
chukwa, so I want to let you know what we are planning and discuss
possible improvements.

We don't want to deploy chukwa agents to all the monitored servers
(little disk and no java there), and use instead syslog-ng that is
sent msgs through UDP to a central syslog server. I have setup it so
it creates files with
/var/log/cluster/$HOST/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FACILITY pattern, and I'm
planning importing this to chukwa with an agent and an adaptor
DirTailingAdaptor on /var/log/cluster. Each day we will clean old
temporary files based on path, to avoid rotations and problems with
the adaptor.

Is there any better option for doing this? Perhaps directly pipe from
syslog to the chukwa agent? But I'm concerned about what will happen
if the pipe doesn't work, the agent is not ready...

Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance!

--
Guille -ℬḭṩḩø- <bisho@tuenti.com>