From Ariel Rabkin <asrab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: log rotation
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2010 18:48:44 GMT
Suppose you have a file, foo, with a FileTailingAdaptor watching it.
After rotation, you'll have a foo.1 and then another foo.  The
FileTailingAdaptor will look at the latter.

After those files have been collected, it's safe to delete them.
Right now, Chukwa doesn't do this itself. Should it?

--Ari

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Corbin Hoenes <corbin@tynt.com> wrote:
> I've noticed some chatter about log rotation and FileTailingAdaptor:  http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHUKWA-421
>
> Is there some kind of documentation on how it deals with say a directory of files that
get rotated.  At first glance it looks like it keeps an adaptor open forever and there doesn't
appear to be a way to know that a file has been processed by the adaptor so we can't really
move files out, etc...  Right now we are piping apache access logs through rotatelogs and
then using chukwa to tail these files.  Is there a better way?

--
Ari Rabkin asrabkin@gmail.com
UC Berkeley Computer Science Department