From Pepijn Noltes <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduating to a TLP
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 19:32:50 GMT
Hi All,

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Alexander Broekhuis

> Hi all,
> Now that we are in the final steps of a new release (I am waiting a bit on
> the addition of the Shared Memory RSA), I'd like to discuss graduation.
> Looking over the past couple of years, I feel that the Celix project has
> shown enough to be able to graduate. Looking at [1] we did the following:
> * Create a release
> * Create an open and diverse community
> * Show that we understand the Apache Way
> At the moment we have 2 active committers, but a third is underway (waiting
> on addition to the incubator group). This gives us the 3 needed committers.
> On thing that concerns me a bit is that at the moment these committers come
> from 2 companies, a bit more diversity here would be nice to have. But in
> my opinion this doesn't have to be an issue for graduation.
> Why I'd like to graduate now is for multiple reasons:
> * Shows more maturity to the users of Celix
> * Makes it easier to handle code donations
> * Makes it easier to add new committers
> (in both cases because we don't have to rely on our mentors anymore)
> So I'd like to hear what others think of this. Please note, this isn't a
> vote yet, merely a discussion to see if we should start the graduation
> process or not.

I also would like to graduate, especially to make it easier to handle code
donations, but if I read the graduation guide [1] correct I think were are
not yet ready. See snippet below:

"The project is considered to have a diverse community when it is not
highly dependent on any single contributor (there are at least 3 legally
independent committers and there is no single company or entity that is
vital to the success of the project). Basically this means that when a
project mostly consists of contributors from one company, this is a sign of
not being diverse enough. You can mitigate this requirement by admitting
more external contributors to your project that have no tie to the single

We - almost - have three committers, but two from one company. So I think
we should have to wait till we get some additional commiters(s), hopefully
from the Native OSGi effort.
That being said, I hope somebody, with good arguments, disagrees on this.
Because graduation would be very welcome.