From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Re: Remote service using shared mem
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:00:57 GMT

I just created JIRA issue CELIX-81, including a patch which adds several
> components allowing CELIX to use Shared Memory for remote services
> (discovery_shm, remote_service_admin_shm and example_proxy_shm). Besides,
> two new deployment targets are added, which can be used to locally test the
> shared memory implementation using the already existing example_service.

Thanks for this work! If Pepijn hasn't started working on this, I will test
and add it to the build tomorrow.

> Netstring support (see JIRA issue CELIX-80 for according patch) is
> required to get the this shm implementation working.

Out of curiosity and for compatibility with Java, is there also some java
support for it? I am still interested in writing a java version as well.
Maybe you could provide some technical details on the working of it.

> Also note that shared memory segments or semaphores might be left in the
> system and needs to be removed manually (see ipcs, ipcrm) when CELIX does
> not shutdown as expected.

Did you use APR for this? Or doesn't APR support semaphores etc? I haven't
looked at it at all, but using APR would be great.

Also, does the code check if there is anything left when starting again?

Either way, making Celix robust so that is doesn't shutdown as expected is
the best solution ;).

Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis