From Alexander Broekhuis <>
Subject Re: Celix - eCos - embedded devices
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 09:13:07 GMT
Hi Deroo,

Like Sascha says, CMake has pretty good cross compile support. I am not
familiar with Ecos, but I think it should be fairly simple to get it

The biggest challenges probably will be library loading and getting Apache
APR working.
Library loading: Celix relies on libdl for loading/unloading libraries,
Ecos has to have something similar
Apache APR: Celix uses APR as runtime abstraction and uses a memory pool
model. Potentially this may interfere with the real time behaviour of Ecos.
But on the other hand, since APR is an abstraction, it might as well be
interesting to see if Ecos can be added to it (this might also be a nice
fix if Ecos uses a different loading model.
We do use a small subset of APR, so when crosscompiling it, quite a lot of
features can be ignored/disabled.

In the past a colleague worked on compiling Celix using buildroot, I should
have some information on that somewhere. If you are interested I can look
it up and mail to you. If I am correct, he made Celix working on an ARM
based system and used Buildroot for crosscompiling everything (APR, Celix
and the other dependencies).

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

2013/8/8 Sascha Zelzer <>

> Hi,
> Regarding CMake, it should be possible to set-up a cross-compiler
> toolchain on a Linux host and build Celix on that host for eCos on an ARM9
> (I didn't try it myself yet, though).
> Best,
> Sascha
> On 08/08/2013 09:33 AM, Deroo Stijn wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We are evaluating celix for using it in our embedded devices as a modular
>> service oriented framework.
>> On our current embedded devices (ARM9 based) we are using the eCOS (
>> operating system, and we want to keep it
>> like that.  How difficult will it be to run the celix framework onto the
>> ecos operating system?
>> To cope with this, I think we have to get rid of the cmake tool, and try
>> to compile celix direcly into ecos using standard makefiles that comes with
>> ecos itself.  Any ideas?
>> Kind regards,
>> Stijn.

Met vriendelijke groet,