From Pepijn Noltes <>
Subject [Report] Apache Celix Hackathon
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:46:24 GMT
Hi All,

Sunday June 30th 2013, a Apache Celix (mini) hackathon was hosted by
Thales in Hengelo. Present where Pepijn (Thales), Alexander (Luminis),
Jorge (Thales) and Nour (Hippo). The morning was spend discussing the
concepts of OSGi, the ideas behind remote services, setting up the
development environment, building Apache Celix and discussing which
DNS-SD framework (Bonjour, Avahi) we would like to use. For the DNS-SD
framework we decided to use apple's bonjour, because this is
distributed under the Apache license.

In the afternoon we started programming on Apache Celix and Amdatu
Remote Services. For Amdatu Remote Services we were able to discover
and use services from different system using DNS-SD. For Apache Celix
we where able to register and discover services with DNS-SD, but we
did not have enough time left to integrate the discovery with the
topology manager. We ended the day with beers and diner on a terrace
in the - uhum - bustling city Hengelo.

Personally I think this was a good hackathon. We achieved progress on
remote services for Apache Celix and Amdatu Remote Service, had some
interesting discussion about Apache Celix and the Apache Software
Foundation in general and - hopefully - created a better understanding
of the benefits of OSGi and - for c - Apache Celix.

View raw message